IDE Spin-up -> DMA timeout -> lock (Was: Re: Random lockup with 2.3.x)

From: Paul Flinders (paul@dawa.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 06:42:17 EST

I've been trying to figure out why my machine keeps locking up, especially
as it's done it three times this morning.

I switched to 2.2.15 in an attempt to fix the blame on hardware or software
and am still having problems so I'm inclined to blame the former.

The first time the machine locked up I heard a disk spinning up (I set the
drives to spin down as I often leave the machine idle for a few hours). By
the second time I had a terminal hooked up as a serial console and the last
kernel message was "hdb: timeout waiting for DMA". This time I also heard
the disk spinning up at the time the machine hung. I was away from the
machine the third time that it locked up but the "hdb: timeout waiting for
DMA" message was again the last thing on the screen.

Looking at the code the drive status should have been dumped after the
timeout message but it looks like it didn't get that far.

Can any of the IDE people let me know whether the machine should have
recovered from this? I assume that the spin-up is taking longer than the
timeout. I'm guessing that this is also the cause of the lock-ups I was
getting in 2.3.99