How is CONFIG_MODVERSIONS and MODVERSIONS related?

From: Peter 'Luna' Runestig (peter+linux-kernel@runestig.com)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 14:45:12 EST

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused about how CONFIG_MODVERSIONS and MODVERSIONS is
related. Look at this at the beginning of include/linux/module.h:

#ifdef __GENKSYMS__
# define _set_ver(sym) sym
# undef MODVERSIONS
# define MODVERSIONS
#else /* ! __GENKSYMS__ */
# if !defined(MODVERSIONS) && defined(EXPORT_SYMTAB)
# define _set_ver(sym) sym
# include <linux/modversions.h>
# endif
#endif /* __GENKSYMS__ */

I'm running 2.2.15 and don't have CONFIG_MODVERSIONS, so then I also
don't have the file include/linux/modversions.h. If CONFIG_MODVERSIONS
and MODVERSIONS is related in any way, why is
include/linux/modversions.h included when MODVERSIONS is _not_ defined?

My real problem is that I can't get pcmcia-cs-3.1.14 to compile (without
intervention) because of this, since I don't have CONFIG_MODVERSIONS
(and then not include/linux/modversions.h) but the pcmcia-cs-3.1.14 code
defines EXPORT_SYMTAB.

If anyone could shed any light on this matter for me, I would be very
grateful!

Cheers,
Peter

--
Peter "Luna" Runestig (fd. Altberg), Sweden
<peter+linux-kernel@runestig.com>

Gubben Movitz ler och nickar, / men från Charons mörka sund dödens blund / i dina blickar / bådar snart din sista stund. Carl Michael Bellman, Fredmans epistel nr 34