pre7-6: kswapd problem returns

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 13:47:13 EST

        On my system running linux-2.3.99-pre7-6 which has been up for
almost nine hours, kswapd has accumulated over five and a half hours of
CPU time, even though the machine has 512MB of RAM and should not be
swapping. Even now, with no running processes on the machine, kswapd
is running.

        Starting slrn under pre7-6 takes so long, that I have given
up on waiting on it after several minutes. Stracing it reveals that
it is slowly reading the state of each newsgroup. Running exactly
the same binary on another machine on the same network results in a
start time of less than a second.

        By the way, somewhere around pre7-4, I noted that the
system go into a state where doing a "ps" command would result in
a hung process. I did not explore it further, becuase it happened
just after I had build pre7-6 and was ready to reboot.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."