Re: pre7-4 to pre7-6 breaks VMWare module build

From: Michael Harnois (mdharnois@home.com)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 10:11:23 EST

On Sat, 6 May 2000 12:31:00 +0100 (BST), Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> said:

> I think its a bit much to berate someone for not supporting the
> latest cutting edge snapshot.

You manage to do it; I don't know why they can't.

I'm always perplexed when someone involved in free software
development finds it in his heart to leap to the defense of a
commercial enterprise. To me it's an open question whether commercial
software companies can learn to function in sufficiently new ways to
survive in the open software environment. I believe it requires a
great deal more flexibility than most profit-making ventures have
usually demonstrated. Put simply, I believe it would be reasonable to
say "we'll have a fix in four days." It is not reasonable, and not an
indication of the will to survive, to say "wait an indefinite period
of time until the next release." I don't need another Microsoft in my
life.

What makes this particular case even more stupid is that Petr is
working for VMware to do this support, and *is* very good and very
timely; you just won't find out about that from them.

--
Michael D. Harnois, Redeemer Lutheran Church, Washburn, IA
mdharnois@home.com                      aa0bt@aa0bt.ampr.org