Re: [RFC] Should /proc/(foo) be /etc/dynamic/(foo) ?

From: Nix (nix-kernel@esperi.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 20:18:48 EST

dg50@daimlerchrysler.com writes:
[I wrote:]
> > There's nothing special about /proc-related stuff (as opposed to
> > other configuration state in /etc). i.e., the *user* shouldn't need to
> > care that `this stuff is managed directly by the kernel'.
>
> Well... there is the thing that manipulation of the /proc stuff
> _immediately_ changes the system, whereas that may not be the case with
> other files.

This is already inconsistent; changes to /etc/fstab and /etc/passwd
take effect immediately, for instance.

> As well, (and perhaps more importantly) changes made to the /proc items are
> not persistant across reboots. If they get intermixed amongst the "real"
> files, you have inconsistancy in interface.

Argh, I forgot that. OK, so there *is* something different about /proc's
semantics, and something that is hard to fix. Hell. A userspace daemon
and some coda-like kernel callbacks to notify the daemon when things
change could fix that and preserve changed stuff, but I think, well,
that's a bit ugly, devfsd notwithstanding.

> > (The far end of this is something like a database-in-a-filesystem, with
> > views instead of directories ;) )
>
> Yeah... every time I follow this out to its logical conclusion, I wind up
> with /etc (or /config, or whatever) as an LDAP directory, complete with
> IDEF-defined schemae and so forth....

I was thinking more like CORBA.

> Bleah. Text files may be sub-optimal in certain cases, but they're *easy*.

Agreed. This is overdesign we are perpetrating here. I shall go and sit
in the corner and beat myself over the head with the OS/2 Workplace
Shell manuals, in penance and as a terrible warning to others.

--
Root beer --- the drink of the BOFH.