Re: [OT] an Amicus Curae to the Honorable Thomas Penfield Jackson

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 19:04:02 EST

> Why should I not have the right to decide whether or not to publish the
> source code to my own software, simply because it depends on someone
> else's? If I write Windows software, depending on Microsoft's proprietary
> software, MS do not impose restrictions on how I license MY code; why

Actually they do provide restrictions on the code you depend upon. Try shipping
free copies of windows since this is needed with your program and you will
find yourself in court. You have a right to do as you will with code you
right but when you draw code from others you must honour their rights as
they must honour yours.

Alan