Re: Cardbus + Tulip + Kernel 2.3.99-6

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 14:40:20 EST

On Fri, 5 May 2000, Alexander Ehlert wrote:

> With 2.2.15 and Pcmcia 3.1.14 everything works fine. I just tried
> kernel 2.3.99-6, but somehow I don't get this combination to work.
> I select pcmcia kernel tree suport and choose only cardbus support.
>
> May 5 15:54:31 frodo kernel: PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:0a.0. Please try using pci=biosirq.

Ok, we don't have the correct irq routing information for this device.

Could you enable the debug messages in arch/i386/kernel/pci-i386.h (change
the '#undef DEBUG' to a '#define DEBUG' and recompile), so that the kernel
will print out information about exactly why it couldn't do the routing..

One problem may be that you have enabled the UP IOAPIC support, which
right now clashes with the PCI irq configuration in this case.

> If I compile pcmcia directly into the kernel(not as module), the card is
> initialized, I can see the Ln/act LED blinking, but I can't access it via
> ifconfig.

Without an interrupt, the tulip driver won't initialize.

                Linus