Re: Possible TCP Problem with RH6.2 talking to Solaris2.6/2.7

From: Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 14:39:57 EST

On Fri, 5 May 2000 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> > How much could the CPU load affect the numbers, most of the tests were run
> > on the machines while theye were activly doing other stuff. But while on
> > the private ethernet segments the ethernets wen't being used by any other
> > process, but the machines were busy doing other processing? This is a
> > PentiumPro200 System, any idea how much ethernet load it should be able to
> > take?
>
> 35% with 11MB/sec if copying to disk is not made.

That's a *very* high load percentage. We put over 20MB/sec through old P100
systems with two fast ethernets channel bonded using Tulip 21140 cards on
2.0.30, and it put about that load (slightly less) on the system.

> Your machine _must_ show bw 11.76MB/sec, if ethernet is not broken.
> This number is invariant, it does not depend on window sizes,
> buffer sizes, it does not depend on anything, but ethernet.

The bandwidth number depends on the duplex. A few chips, such as the 8390
used on the NE2000, cannot do back-to-back transmits and will be somewhat
lower than the peak.

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Scyld Computing Corporation
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210