RE: [OT] an Amicus Curae to the Honorable Thomas Penfield Jackson

From: Jim Driscoll (kernel@rjimlad.org.uk)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 14:31:10 EST

> What interests me, though, is why people keep suggesting that
> forcing MS
> to go open source would be the ideal punishment. Since when
> was releasing
> your OS source code a punishment? :-)
>
> I am surprised too. I never suggest anyone should "go open source",
> neither as a punishment or for any other reason.

If Windows' source were opened, Microsoft could find itself in a situation
in which, in some areas at least, they are slower to improve Windows than
others are. That would be a little scary for Microsoft, and perhaps quite
good for the competition (hence the relevance) but it would have no real
effect on Microsoft's ability to maintain a monopoly, so yes, it isn't
exactly an appropriate action to take.

> IMO, the proposed solution (the govt's, not RMS's!) is a
> pretty good one.
> It could do with a little refinement, and a few more restrictions in
> places, but it could be quite effective.
>
> Splitting up Microsoft could be effective for stimulating competing
> proprietary software companies that would work more effectively to
> crush free software. I don't think that is a desirable result, but
> perhaps you do. I don't know what else is in the proposed sentence.

Much as I hate to disagree with anyone prophecying doom, if breaking up
Microsoft - or indeed spawning clones of Windows which would inevitably
happen if MS had to open the source - means that other closed-source
software companies would be able to offer more consistent competition, then,
at least, the software-buying public would have more reason to actually stop
and take a look at what they're buying rather than blindly buying from a
familiar company. I would expect free software to fare rather well if the
market starts considering products on their (technical) merit rather than
their advertising budget.