Re: Possible TCP Problem with RH6.2 talking to Solaris2.6/2.7

From: kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 12:49:44 EST

Hello!

> More Info on this is available by emailing me, unless this problem can get
> fixed, I will have to pull the linux installed servers and replace with
> FreeBSD 4.0,

Is it something sort of blackmailing? It is interesting. 8)
OK, OK, no problems. 8)

Question #1 (and last for beginning): kernel version?
I cannot identify 172.16.10.2 as any known linux kernel.
It behaves differently both of 2.2 and 2.3. It is critical moment.

Analysis made by that expert is correct, _assuming_ that
dump is correct. But it is not. It is pretty evident, that
this dump does not show lots of packets.

> Well I have tried EVERYTHING, originaly it was a ful-duplex problem,
> and I fixed that with the mii-diag program.

Go to switch and make sure that _both_ ends think that
they are full-duplex. Packet lossage on 100Mbit links are
almost always explained by failed full-duplex negotiation.

Also, if port going to one machine is full-duplex, and
other one is half-duplex, most of switches drop lots
of packets at peak loads.

To resume: it looks like you have massive lossage in ACK path
i.e. in direction linux -> solaris. This can be explained
only by wrong switch setup.

Alexey