Re: 1.3msec timer needed - best way ?

From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd@Op.Net)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 12:20:48 EST

>If you don't want to use RTLinux (why not?) you could just shift the system

Mostly because of the extra complications associated with writing
applications, and notably, I really don't want to write applications
that can only run correctly on RTLinux, because it currently
guarantees that I will be just about the only person to do so. Its
hard enough convincing people to use Linux for pro-audio work; telling
them that out-of-the-box RedHat or SuSE won't do is not going to be
very helpful.

Also, RTLinux does not appear to track development kernels very
closely, and since the other subsystem on which I rely (ALSA) does,
this puts me in a bit of bind.

Of course, if there is no other way, I'll do it, but ...

>timer to use the RTC - you can happily change HZ to be a power of two, and
>then you're free to use the 8253 timer for whatever you like.

Now this is a very interesting idea. I would have to write a
mini-driver for the 8253, which could presumably be very similar to
the RTC driver.

>Alternatively, you could use the approach that the PC speaker driver does -
>hook the 8253 timer, increase its frequency to whatever frequency you desire
>- preferably a precise multiple of HZ - then call the old timer tick routine
>once in each <n> times your new routine is triggered.

Hard to get this right when the interrupt frequency will very
definitely not be a multiple of HZ. I would probably set it to either
1.3msec or 320usecs.

Thanks a lot for the insight.

--p