killer file crashed linux (pre3) by copy (vfat -> ext2)

From: Robert S. Irrgang (rsi@as-rsi.de)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 08:30:39 EST

Hello!

For change a harddisk on a M$ Win-System, I've backup a (data only!) partition with vfat to a linux partition.
That's all ok, short copy, enough space on destionation. Thausend of file are copied.
But on ONE file, linux stopped! Nothing goes on.. no crash message, no output, no keyboard, no mice... the one way. hard reset...
I've checked this three times and allways the same.
I've checked the file (an image), it's corrupt.

Why did linux (pre3) crashed by copy this corrupt file from vfat to ext2 (one harddisk to another)?
I don't know!

Regards

Robert