Re: arp, kernel 2.2.15 and 2.3.99-pre6

From: Andrey Savochkin (saw@saw.sw.com.sg)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 04:56:31 EST

Hello,

I want to add my $0.02.

The Ville's patch looks neat, and I like it.
I really think that all the "ARP hide" stuff is a crap. It doesn't have any
clear meaning, only a pure shamanism.

Checks for ARP sending via routing table is a good idea, provided that we get
rid of the "hidden" flags. We may do it as Andi has done. Or we may do it
in the following way: add "noarp" flag to routes, and if route lookup gives
an entry with the flag being set, we do not send reply.
Anyway, "ARP hide" stuff is broken because it establishes additional
unnatural relations between addresses and interfaces (instead of using
natural terms like routes), and looks ugly being implemented.

Best regards
                Andrey