Re: IDE spin_lock bug

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 19:42:40 EST

On Wed, May 03 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Have you checked the asm to make sure the function is inlined?
> Typically the rule is you must make it 'static inline' to better ensure
> inlining.

No, and you are right I should have. But ->

> Stepping back a bit, is this function ever called with interrupts
> disabled and such? If not, you can use spin_lock_irq in certain
> [carefully considered] cases. That eliminates worrying about 'flags'
> completely and is a bit faster.

It doesn't appear to be. Andre should be able to confirm this. And in fact
the the io_request_lock is just used to protect the hwgroup so the locking
can be made a bit simpler yet. Patch attached.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
*  Linux CD/DVD-ROM, SuSE Labs