Re: devfs persistence

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 16:35:18 EST

Hi,

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 12:31:20PM +0200, Andries Brouwer wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 11:15:49AM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
>
> > The only advantage you'd get by adding extra linux-only partitioning
> > would be to let you subdivide the DOS-type partitions even further
>
> No. A DOS type partition table tells you where the partitions are
> and has a partition type but no room for UUIDs, volume labels
> and the like.

You quoted me completely out of context! The only advantage of
linux-only partitioning *over a raid-style superblock* is that
a linux partition table would be able to describe multiple devices
at once, whereas a raid md0 superblock only describes a single
logical device. LVM lets you provide UUIDs for multiple logical
devices in a single partition.

The LVM superblock is exactly what you are after, isn't it? You
place one of those on a DOS partition, and then you can carve off
fixed-name portions by allocating physical extents from the LVM
pool to specific logical volumes. We don't need to discard the
existing, portable partitioning mechanisms in order to achieve this.

--Stephen