Re: under CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL? (was Re: Why auditing and ACL's are important (was: audit_ids system calls))

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 15:33:27 EST

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Would putting all the work
> under a config option and marking it EXPERIMENTAL make everyone
> happy enough for this to proceed? *Please*? :-)

Dear Linda,

may I ask (out of curiosity) if your patch is the same as "all the work"
you are mentioning above? From the very brief look at your patch I thought
you provide a framework for 64bit-returning system calls (only for IA32!)
and also add a couple of system calls to set/get audit id. Was that the
entire infrastructure needed on kernel side or is it just the beginning
with some more patches to follow?

I am just trying to understand - because, perhaps, unwillingless to
include your stuff is merely due to the fact that it is not complete yet
and one (e.g. Linus) would be naturally inclined to see the whole picture
first before having any opinion?

If that is not the case, I would be happy to have my assumptions and
(mis)-observations corrected.

I don't know about auditing implementations but if your patch was able to
actually implement all that is necessary, it was *very* impressively
compact :)

Regards,
Tigran