ipv6 accept does not convert ipv4 connections to ipv6-mapped

From: Felix von Leitner (felix@convergence.de)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 13:51:55 EST

Hi!

I am currently porting tcpserver et al to IPv6.
According to the Stevens book (unix network programming, sockets API),
when I create an IPv6 server socket on port foo the kernel should
transparently accept IPv4 connections on port foo and return an IPv6
connection to the server where the IPv6 address is the IPv4 address
converted to IPv6-mapped format.

The Linux kernel does not do this.
Did I misunderstand Stevens there?

Or should libc do this conversion?

Since I don't have access to another IPv6 implementation, probably the
most prudent way for me to continue now will be to see if I get back an
AF_INET in my sockaddr_in6 and then do the conversion in user space...?

Felix