Re: under CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL? (was Re: Why auditing and ACL's are important

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 13:43:05 EST

> I'm perfectly willing to put the code in an even release and
> mark it "experimental"/default to off, but not allowing a merge into
> the main stream is going to hinder having a useful product within
> the required time table. I'm trying to optimize for success while
> providing for safe impact to existing code. Would putting all the work
> under a config option and marking it EXPERIMENTAL make everyone
> happy enough for this to proceed? *Please*? :-)

Lots of people work with things as add on patches to stable releases - its
a good development strategy to do that then merge. If so the only thing you
need to establish are what interfaces you need, if the Linux world benefits
from them and assign syscall numbers so that it can be compatible with the
final post 2.4 merge