gateway setup problem

From: Lee Chin (leechin@mail.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 12:10:46 EST

Hi,
TO INTERNET

|Client| |Gateway 1| |Gateway 2|
| | |
----------------------------------

I have the above type of LAN configuration. Gateway 2 connects the lan to
the internet and gateway 1 itself points to gateway 2 (ie gateway 2 is the
gateway for gateway 1).
The Client's gateway is Gateway 1. All 3 Computers lie on the same ethernet
LAN. Gateway 1 and 2 are Linux boxes and the Client is a windows machine.

My problem is that even when Gateway 1 is turned off, the client is able to
make connections to the internet... it seems to be getting routed through
Gateway 2. Is this normal? I would have assumed that the client would send
ALL packets that are not on the same LAN to the Gateway 1 directly (It
doesent even know about Gateway 2). In this case, when Gateway 1 is turned
off, I would expect the client to be unable to make internet connections.

Is windows breaking a protocol here by sending out of local subnet packets
as a broadcast? Or have I just understood the whole thing of how gateways
operate incorrectly?

I would very much appreciate help here.

Sincerely,
Lee