Re: devfs persistence

From: Andries Brouwer (aeb@veritas.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 05:07:17 EST

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 10:09:22PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> > I wouldnt mind if only Linux-type partition tables had room for
> > volume labels and the like. People that really want to have both
> > DOS type partition tables and disk/partition volume labels and uuids
> > might use a Linux-type "index" subpartition of a DOS type partition table.
>
> A logical device superblock in a partition already defines a
> subpartition in this way, and is completely portable. I guess I
> just don't see the need for yet another mechanism!

You lost me. Let us look at the discussion.

Stephen: there is no place to put a UUID

Andries: use a Linux-type partition table

Stephen: that doesnt help people with a DOS type partition table

Andries: That doesnt matter much, and if necessary we can
        invent a way to make Linux-type partition tables
        available for them too.

Stephen: unnecessary - there are already completely portable mechanisms

??

Andries