Re: [WARNING] devfs mount default changed

From: David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 05:01:24 EST

Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:
> > Of course, they could before as well: just add "devfs=nomount".
>
> not if they use LILO and their current command line is very close to 79
> byte limit :)

or now those of use that mount it by default must check that limit.

nothing has been gained, only irritation has shifted from one side to another
and caused a ruckus because something has changed that has the impact of
completely works/completely doesn't work.

the only thing that has happened here is that we're playing a game of
opinions. i am certainly biased because i want the mounting on by default.
i feel that the author should have his say "by default".

i suggest that Richard forward all emails about why devfs just broke to the
person(s) who decided to change it's de facto setting. it's rude to subject
the author to a flood of emails like this.

-d