atime

From: Bruce Janson (bruce@staff.cs.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 03:25:59 EST

In article <20000501155159.I11600@redhat.com>,
Stephen C. Tweedie <sct@redhat.com> wrote:
..
>On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 11:57:23AM -0700, Chris Mason wrote:
>>
>> The fs/inode.c and fs.h changes allow the FS to provide a dirty_inode
>> call. I'm using this to log the inodes instead of allowing them to hit
>> the dirty list, which saves me from deadlocks when try_to_free_pages
>> forces a flush of the dirty inode list.
>
>Isn't this going to be very inefficient when we are constantly
>updating the inode's atime for a series of file reads? I'd have
>thought that we'd _want_ to defer the writing of the inode as
>long as possible in that case, precisely to avoid logging the
>inode too many times.
..

Maintenance of the traditional unix atime field turns read-like
operations into write-like operations. For sophisticated network
file systems that maintain a coherent distributed view, this
hurts performance.

Which popular/essential/useful user-level Linux applications
break when atime is disabled (say, pegged to zero)?

Cheers,
bruce.