Re: Automaticly eliminating redundant zero initialisers

From: James R Bruce (bruce+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 20:56:03 EST

Excerpts from internet.computing.linux-kernel: 1-May-2000 Re:
Automaticly eliminating.. by "Bradley D. LaRonde"@ltc
> > them if they do. If Linux has an initially zero storage space, it has
> > more overhead, and isn't quite the old BSS.
>
> Maybe that was the past, but modern Linux kernel programmers can count on
> objects in .bss being intialized to zero, and by doing so save executable
> space and code complexity.

The memory has to be cleared for security reasons anyway, so it might as
well be zero (and copy-on-write from a zero page for that matter). This
is ancient now and just about every unix does this (I think this was an
early BSD-ism, though I'm not quite sure here). NT also does this by
default.

 - Jim Bruce