Hot-plugging USB mice?

From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman (lars@larsshack.org)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 13:48:38 EST

I'd like to configure a laptop to work a USB mouse that is only
occasionally (i.e., when the laptop is in the office) attached. The
problem I'm running into is that when the mouse is unplugged, programs
(such as gpm or X) that attempt to open the mouse device fail.

Is there any way to tell the USB subsystem (the backport patch from
2.3.99pre6, applied to 2.2.15pre20) to leave the mouse driver connected,
even when the mouse has been unplugged? It seems like this would solve
most of the problems I've run into.

If user space configuration matters: I'm using gpm in 'repeater' mode
(with input from both the trackpad and the USB mouse) , and have X pointing
at /dev/gpmdata.

I suppose an alternate solution would be to hack gpm such that it can
handle a missing device by periodically polling the device file.

Has anyone else solved this problem in a graceful manner?

Thanks,

-- Lars

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars@larsshack.org> --> http://www.larsshack.org/