Kernel Hangs on boot (2.2.14/2.3.51)

From: Timm Gleason (timm@n2h2.com)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 11:54:46 EST

Whilst trying to build a kernel for a new quad Xeon server we purchased from
VALinux, I have come across a very reproducable and extremly annoying
problem.

After wiping the root drive and installing Debian/GNU Linux onto it, I set
out to compile a kernel that had SMP support, memory above 1GB, shared
memory parmeter tweaks, etc.. Every single kernel I have tried compiling
halts the boot sequence in the same place, right after loading the kernel,
but before the kernel actually boots.

'Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.'

And it either hangs so that I must power off the machine or it reboots the
server.

I searched throught the archives and found a simliar problem thread in the
last week of January 2000, however the problem there was the kernel was
halting before this line and, there was never a resolution to the thread
posted.

Now the odd part is that the 'kitchen sink' kernel included on the boot
disks works fine, however it is without many of the features that we need
for this server (i.e. SMP, large memory support). Even the kernel that VA
has compiled for their SMP servers exhibits the same behaviour after I
installed it.

These kernels boot on other servers that are simliar (non Xeon SMP boxes
with more than 1GB RAM), just not this particular one. I have been waiting
in vain to hear something from VA support since last Wednesday. Only thing I
have received was an auto-reply telling me that someone would contact me
within 4 hours (119 hours and counting)

Timm Gleason

Timm Gleason, Hardware Development Engineer,
timm@n2h2.com - http://n2h2.com/ - N2H2, Creators of Bess
900 Fourth Avenue, 34th Floor--Seattle, WA 98164