Re: IO scheduling problem in 2.3.99-pre6

From: bug1 (bug1@netconnect.com.au)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 10:08:55 EST

"Adam J. Richter" wrote:

> When I do anything that causes a lot of I/O to the IDE
> hard disk on a computer running 2.3.99-pre6, the system becomes
> very unresponsive. I often have to wait a couple of seconds for
> characters to echo on xterm windows, for example. 2.3.99pre6-5
> did not have this problem. I did not try 2.3.99pre6-6 or 2.3.99pre6-7,
> so the problem could have been introduced at that point too.
>
> I have verified that the problem is triggered by IO rather
> than CPU utilization.

Could this be related to the ide dma timeouts problem ?

I get timeout by doing cat /dev/hde > /dev/null ; cat /dev/hdg >
/dev/null ; cat /dev/hdi > /dev/null

My lost interrupt problem has been around for over 6 months. Im pretty
sure its not hardware, other people with multiple drives have the same
problem.

I would love to hear from anybody who can read simultaneously from three
or more IDE drives in dma mode, with each drive on its own channel.

Thanks

Glenn