Re: Promise card no longer work as ide0/1?

From: Adam Fritzler (mid@auk.cx)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 00:12:29 EST

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> On Mon, 1 May 2000, Adam Fritzler wrote:
>
> Try moving the NIC order around and keeping the assocaiated cable with
> each card constant. You NIC setup will fail.

If my last nic is eth4, then I have I five ethernet cards. Not one. If I
only had one, I'd only have eth0. NICs aren't numbered according to type
like Promise cards aparently are. (If ethN exists than eth(N-1) must also
exist (except where n==0).)

> I want you to explain to me and the list what you think it is.
> I will add to your answer based upon other actions taken by the kernel.

I have all of two IDE interfaces. They're on one card. A Promise card.
I expect them to be ide0 and ide1.

If I have an ide3, I'd expect that I have four IDE interfaces. But I
don't. I only have two.

> Many have asked my why and I have never been able to clearly explain it.
> Here is an opportunity to get the answer out.

It just makes sense to me that that first of anything should be numbered
zero. Second, one. Third, two. Fourth, three. Not have my first
numbered as two and second labelled as three. It just doesnt make sense
to me to have two and three if you don't have zero and one first.

I don't think I'm being overly irrational about this.

af

---
  Adam Fritzler
  { mid@auk.cx }