Re: [WARNING] devfs mount default changed

From: Oystein Viggen (oysteivi@tihlde.org)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 19:57:02 EST

Michael Harnois wrote:

> "Inconvenient?" How about "idiotic?" "inane?" "woefully misguided?"
> Thanks to this change I can no longer reboot unattended after a power
> failure, since I have to be sitting at the console to enter something
> at the prompt (I use a boot floppy.) That's not inconvenient. That's
> just a plain stupid change. Geez, if you don't want to use it, don't
> compile it in. Don't mess up the systems of those of us who expect
> reasonably normal behavior.

Actually, if you think about how filesystems like proc and devpts are not
automatically mounted at boot time, the change actually seems more
correct. The problem is of course that devfs should be availible at boot
time (if you mount /dev/disc/something in fstab, putting devfs also in
there won't work). This makes devfs special, but not _that_ special.

If you want to, you can put "/sbin/mount -t devfs none /dev" or something
near the top of rc.sysinit or rc.S or whatever your particular
distribution calls this file, and you'll be fine. That way, you don't even
need the special not-conforming-to-standards behaviour of devfs mounting
itself automatically at boot time.

Personally, I don't think putting 'append="devfs=mount"' in my
/etc/lilo.conf was that big a problem, anyway... :)

Oystein