Re: devfs persistence

From: Stephen Harris (sweh@spuddy.mew.co.uk)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 09:47:50 EST

Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca) wrote:
: Peter Svensson writes:
: >
: > And even for disks it makes sense. You want to mke2fs (or your
: > filesystem of choise) the correct physical disk. You cannot really
: > depend on the label in that situation, but a WWN sounds like just
: > what is needed.

: Or just rely on host,bus,target,lun names. It's fair enough to assume
: that devices aren't being replugged while you're in the middle of
: typing "mke2fs"!

I've read the page http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/docs/devfs.html but
have a question related to the dynamic nature of devices (eg SAN disks)...
sorry if it sounds stupid..!

How are block devices without a UUID or similar handled? I'm thinking of
(say) a database raw device. If I create a datafile on a /dev entry (common
for Sybase, possible - but not so common these days - for Oracle) I need to
be assured that the /dev entry always points to the same disk partition.
There is no equivalent of "searching for label or UUID" built into the
database code (unlike which could be built into "mount"), so where does this
leave me? As I see it, at best the DBMS could moan and refuse to start, at
worst it could use a bad disk area and corrupt things!

I need a form of consistency that my developers and DBAs are happy with spread
over Linux, Solaris and HP-UX (for now, maybe AIX later).

Your thoughts on this matter much appreciated. Thanks!!

--
                                 Stephen Harris
                 sweh@spuddy.mew.co.uk   http://www.spuddy.org/