transparent sound redirection via network with a kernelmodule

From: Martin Haller (martin@martin-haller.de)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 03:28:50 EST

Hi

first, I must admit, that I am newbie to kernel module programming.

I have an fat terminal server and an X-Client with soundcard. Now I
want to redirect the sound written to the /dev/audio on the server
to the X-Client via network, and there written to the /dev/audio
device.

So I wrote my first little module, that registeres a charmajor 42
device (hope its not used by others). Then I created an

crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 42, 0 Apr 27 17:38 /dev/audio

device. The module takes all the sounddata and outputs them on an
other device, where an user space program takes them and send them
over the network...

The module by itself just functions fine (I was realy suprised how
easy this part was ;-)), but apps like X11amp or xmms just mention,
that they could not open the audio device. Also, in messages
apeared an message:

modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0
modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-2

Want does that mean? I have never seen this both modules, and sound
always run without loading these mods explicitly. And if I open the
audio device myown by open() and write data to it, no such message
apears and everything goes right...

So I think its not easy to completly emulate an soundcard... Or is
there a trick ?

Do You know a better solution for my sound redirection problem ? I
wanted an transparent redirection, not another sound api in the
user app ...

Thanks, Martin