Re: kernel debugger

From: Amit S. Kale (akale@veritas.com)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 08:33:14 EST

> From: sat <satvinder@npi.stpn.soft.net>
> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:15:24 +0530
> Subject: kernel debugger
>
> Hello all,
> I would like to debug the kernel and the only way I find it can be done is by
> applying some patch which is given away at oss.sgi.com , but even that is not
> of much help as it didnt install properly in the sense that none of the
> additions for kdb could be done.
> Is there any other patch which would not cause this much of problem and goes
> smoothly.
> I would highly appreciate if I can be given some links which can tell me more
> about kernel debugging.

Did you try source level kernel debugging patch (SGI kGDB) there?
Or you can download kgdb from ftp://ftp.gcom.com/pub/linux/src/

If you can try out next ( not yet released ) version of kgdb, which contains
mp support, support for thread commands ( stack traces in different threads
etc) and ia-32 hardware breakpoint, I can send you one.
You can find it in kernel-mailing list archives if you already have them with
you.

> From: George Anzinger <george@pioneer.net>
> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 05:33:49 -0700
> Subject: Re: kernel debugger
>
> Me thinks I could help you more if you were to tell me what version and
> arch you are trying to debug. I have done some work on kernel debug
> options for the i386 branch at 2.2.1x rev level.
>
> Folks, any support for making kernel debug a configure option in the
> kernel? I will kick it off with an ix86 patch (to be followed by ppc)
> if there is interest.

It is required. There are number of debuggers on different architectures which
need to be merged into single configure option. Mutual exclusion of two
debuggers in one architecture ( e.g. x86 kgdb and kgdb) will also need to be
handled.

--
Amit Kale
Veritas Software ( http://www.veritas.com )