Hang with xawtv/bttv on second run

From: Shane Shrybman (shrybman@sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 11:47:35 EST

Hi,

My system hangs ( no response to keyboard, ping, sysrq) when xawtv is
run for a second time. On the first run everything seems normal, and if
rmmod -a is run twice to unload the modules before restarting xawtv
things are also ok. It is only when xawtv is started for a second time
that the system hangs. Nothing is recorded in the logs.

I have witnessed this with many kernels 2.2.15pre19, 2.3.99preX,
2.3.99preX-acX. The system is a celeronA, egcs-2.91.66, adaptec2940 UW,
quantum ide disk, Abit bh6. The TV card is a Zoltrix TV MAX, (which has
worked very well in the past). I have tried versions 3.11 and 3.12 of
xawtv, with the same results. My modules.conf contains:

# i2c
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
options i2c-core i2c_debug=1
options i2c-algo-bit bit_test=1

# bttv
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 bttv
pre-install bttv modprobe -k tuner
options bttv card=15 radio=0
options tuner type=6 debug=1

Are these setting correct? (They seemed to work for 2.2 and 2.3 kernels)

The TV card appears to get detected properly:

(from dmesg)
Linux video capture interface: v1.00
i2c: initialized
bttv0: Brooktree Bt848 (rev 18) bus: 0, devfn: 104, irq: 10, memory:
0xea002000.
PCI: Enabling bus mastering for device 00:68
bttv: 1 Bt8xx card(s) found.
bttv0: NO fader chip: TEA6300
bttv0: model: BT848
tuner: type is 6 (Temic NTSC)
tuner: tv freq set to 175.25

An lsmod at this point:
Module Size Used by
bttv 33888 1 (autoclean)
tuner 2184 1 (autoclean)
i2c 3456 2 (autoclean) [bttv tuner]
videodev 2592 2 (autoclean) [bttv]
sb 33716 1 (autoclean)
uart401 6160 1 (autoclean) [sb]
sound 56632 0 (autoclean) [sb uart401]
soundlow 348 0 (autoclean) [sound]
soundcore 2372 6 (autoclean) [sb sound]
nfsd 143204 3 (autoclean)
lockd 31080 0 (autoclean) [nfsd]
sunrpc 52228 0 (autoclean) [nfsd lockd]
lvm 100616 2

An lsmod after closing xawtv:
Module Size Used by
bttv 33888 0 (autoclean)
tuner 2184 1 (autoclean)
i2c 3456 2 (autoclean) [bttv tuner]
videodev 2592 2 (autoclean) [bttv]
sb 33716 1 (autoclean)
uart401 6160 1 (autoclean) [sb]
sound 56632 0 (autoclean) [sb uart401]
soundlow 348 0 (autoclean) [sound]
soundcore 2372 6 (autoclean) [sb sound]
nfsd 143204 3 (autoclean)
lockd 31080 0 (autoclean) [nfsd]
sunrpc 52228 0 (autoclean) [nfsd lockd]
lvm 100616 2

Any suggestions/hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane