Re: your mail

From: Thomas Molina (tmolina@home.com)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 11:04:13 EST

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> >From schilling@fokus.gmd.de Tue Apr 25 15:35:31 2000
>

> >>From tmolina@home.com Mon Apr 24 20:13:35 2000
> >>[1.] One line summary of the problem:
> >>I receive errors while reading the last track of an audio cd with 2.3.X
>
> >>[2.] Full description of the problem/report:
> >>Following is the output from cdda2wav under 2.3.X kernels. This is a
> >>continuing problem with 2.3.47 and later versions. This does not happen
> >>with 2.2.14 and earlier. It always gets to 99 percent, then shows an
> >>error. It happens on all audio CDs I've tested.
>
> >>[root@wr5z rw1]# cdda2wav -B -D/dev/cdrom -Ocdr -t14 track14
> >>cdrom device (/dev/cdrom) is not of type generic SCSI. Setting interface
> >>to cooked_ioctl.
>
> >Using the IOCTL is not a good idea. As it is non portable, it is not
> >tested well.
>
> >It also looks as if the kernel driver don't know as much as
> >mkisofs about different drives.
> ^^^^^
> Sorry, should read cdda2wav ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it again with -D0,0 instead of
-D/dev/cdrom and it works correctly. Perhaps a mention should be made
in one of the READMEs? (README.ATAPI?).

On another note, apparently because of some changes in the 2.3 versions
there seems to be problems including both ide-scsi emulation and generic
ide support at the same time. I solved the problem in my case by
disabling generic ide support and using ide-scsi for both the atapi
cdrom as well as the cd/rw drive. The README.ATAPI should probably be
modified for the 2.4 release of the Linux kernel.