Re: IDE drives and unmaskirq

From: Benno Senoner (sbenno@gardena.net)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 07:55:45 EST

Andre Hedrick wrote:
>On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:
>
>> Unfortunatelly it's NOT legend :-(( I've seen systems (less then 4 years old
>> BTW) where enabled unmaskirq will corrupt filesystem badly. That's why it's
>> in zero state by default: it's MUCH better to "just" slow down system then
>> to trash filesystem on that system.
>
>Nicely clarified! ;-)
>
>He speaks the true, I was just waiting to see when someone else answer it
>correctly.

I agree that it's good to leave it off by default but for realtime stuff
(alias low latency applications), it's almost mandatory to turn ON the IRQ
unmasking, since long stalls due to the disk I/O means
no realtime audio and video or whatever.

But again , I do not expect crappy or old hardware doing realtime stuff
reliably.
If the hardware is flawed buy a new one, or use the slow safe mode.

In italian: "non puoi avere la botte piena e la moglie ubriaca"
translated: You can't have both the wife drunken and the wine barrel still
full.
:-)

PS: Andre: funny your E-Mail address :-)

Benno.