multiple "folders" in /proc/irq

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 16:51:03 EST

Hi Manfred,

I remember you had a question on why there are multiple "folders" in
/proc/irq/ of the same name and I was itching to reply "those are called
directories and not folders" :)

I think the reason why they are there is because for most of irqs
register_irq_proc(irq) is called both via
request_irq()->setup_irq()->register_irq_proc() and also at initialization
via sysctl_init()->init_irq_proc().

So, the question (to Ingo who wrote this stuff) is - why is this the
case? Isn't calling it from one or the other enough?

It is hard to say which one is the right place. If it is called only via
request_irq() then we won't have entries for, say irq3 which is a serial
port and only requested on open but you would want to be able to configure
smp affinity for it as well (or maybe not?).

Perhaps it can be removed from init_irq_proc() and only called via
request_irq()?

Regards,
Tigran