Re: Trying to make everybody happy with DEVFS

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 16:03:06 EST

Manuel Estrada writes:
> Attached come a couple of ideas which came to my mind last
> night. As I don't follow lkml too closely, they may be obsolete; if
> that is the case I apologize.

Please don't send plaintext documents in inscrutable MIME encoding!

> Proposed model of the problem:
>
> KCI = Kernel Canonical Identifier
> currently mayor and minor device number pairs
> USN = UserSpace Name
> currently the name of the device file
>
> As I see it, DEVFS changes the KCI from a pair of numbers into a path
> like string.
> And at least without devfsd, it makes user programs use KCIs
> directly, which could be seen as currently having to use device
> major and minor numbers directly. Stablishing policy in the kernel.

You're *supposed* to run devfsd, so you can establish your own policy
(as well as intelligent device management). But it's important for the
kernel to provide a default policy which all application writers can
depend on.

The rest of your proposals relate to allowing a distribution to put in
their own policy. We can already do that with devfsd, so your
proposals aren't buying anything (other than replacing devfs with a
(less flexible) mechanism which doesn't have the "devfs" badge).

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca