Re: OS Masters

From: Pavel Machek (pavel@suse.cz)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 16:29:11 EST

Hi!

> I took a look through the FAQ and the archives but didn't see much in the
> line of what needs to be done next. I'm looking for a list or even
> pointers to discussions on what needs to be developed in the kernel that
> would be long term and would be suitalbe for a masters - muliple goals are
> welcome. Of the top of my head and from asking my local LUG, I got
>
> 1. Research OOM issues and ways of resolving it possibly based on
> profiling individual users and using system metrics as a limit. IRCC,
> there isn't a way implemented yet that everyone is happy with

x+1. Change nbd and memory managment so that block device driver can
happily live in userspace. Create way for character drivers to live in
userland (this is neccessary for decent winmodem drivers). [I'd like
to kick many of drivers from drivers/usb/*.c into userspace -- they
are not performance critical, anyway, and in userspace they can not
kill machine.]

                                                                Pavel

--
I'm pavel@ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."