Re: [RFC] Flat /lib/modules/`uname -r`

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 19:14:11 EST

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000 18:35:53 -0400,
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> wrote:
>On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 03:47:23PM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
>> Probably. It is definitely worth adding human readable text to the
>> pci device table.
>
>Wait a minute --- what's up with pci.ids, which already maps PCI IDs
>to human-readable text?

Apart from the fact I had forgotten about it;)? The only advantage of
having human readable text in the kernel table is that it forces people
to update the device name when they add a new device. A separate list
like pci.ids is always going to have version skew. OTOH adding more
text strings to the kernel and modules just to avoid this skew is not
justified. So forget about adding a human readable name to
pci_device_id.

depmod will extract pci_device_id and a simple awk script can cross
reference the depmod output with pci.ids. That will list the module
for each device type, including the human readable text. It will also
highlight devices not listed in pci.ids.