Re: patch for mmap MAP_ANON|MAP_SHARED

From: Christoph Rohland (hans-christoph.rohland@sap.com)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 11:05:51 EST

Jamie Lokier <lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I think in both cases, for MAP_SHARED, it should show a shmfs file
> name if possible (i.e. if it's mounted).

That's probably true.

> From /proc/pid/maps, it's possible to open the shared mapped file whose
> name is listed and see what the process sees. But that breaks for
> /dev/zero as a very special case. Using the shmfs name would remove
> that special case.

Since they always show up as deleted the current solution is still
correct in your scenario.

And they have to show up as deleted since this memory object is only
accesible to the process and its relatives. FD passing et.al. do not
help for /dev/zero since mmaping the file again gives you a new
mapping.

Greetings
                Christoph