Re: [RFC] Flat /lib/modules/`uname -r`

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 00:35:40 EST

Keith Owens wrote:

> IMHO this is a mistake when pcmcia is integrated into
> the kernel, pcmcia should be using modprobe.

aargh. Me. Meat. Sandwich. :-)

If it's OK, I'll put the symlink in for the while, then see where all
these chips fall later on. I really need to get this patch on the wires
ASAP for more testing.

> >It's just a matter of being nice to users and installation programs.
> >Maybe we can actually parse the driver source to extract the info?
> >
> > {"3c905B-FX Cyclone 100baseFx",
> > PCI_USES_IO|PCI_USES_MASTER, IS_CYCLONE, 128, },
> >becomes
> > {/*SDEVICE*/"3c905B-FX Cyclone 100baseFx",
> > PCI_USES_IO|PCI_USES_MASTER, IS_CYCLONE, 128, },
> >
> >this tagging will allow us to associate "3c905B-FX Cyclone 100baseFx"
> >with 3c59x.c, at least.
>
> Parse the source, surely you jest. That table is static and is
> specific to 3c59x.c. PCI modules are moving towards the standard
> struct pci_device_id which modutils will extract, 3c59x.c should be
> converted to use pci_device_id. BTW I have no objection to
> pci_device_id being expanded to include a human readable text field but
> that is not my decision.

3c59x.c uses pci_device_id already. The parse-the-source idea is simply
to improve on what we have now without creating duplication of content,
which is always evil.

I agree that putting the human-readable device identifier into the
driver's supported device table is 100% the best thing to do. And we
should do it right now, while it only requires modification to 25 files.

So whose decision is it? Martin and Jeff?

--
-akpm-