Re: [RFC] Flat /lib/modules/`uname -r`

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 20:21:04 EST

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 17:45:04 -0700 (PDT),
Matthew Dharm <mdharm-kernel@one-eyed-alien.net> wrote:
>On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Keith Owens wrote:
>> All things considered, the cons outweigh the pros. In particular the
>> need to update user space (modprobe) whenever a new modules/...
>> directory is added is annoying and guarantees version skew.
>
>This is only partially true. Two lines in /etc/conf.modules or
>modules.conf will allow you to keep your existing search path as well as
>add a new one. So an update to the utility is not required.

But users do not do this. Instead we get mail about "my cdrom is not
detected" because the ide code was moved to a new modules directory.
Relying on users to make manual changes because of a kernel upgrade has
an unacceptably high failure rate.

>> (1) Store all kernel modules in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel.
>
>How would you deal with the namespace collision issues that arise from
>this?

There cannot be any collisions. All modules are installed via symlinks
in linux/modules, we already have a single directory in the kernel.

>> (2) modutils looks for modules/.../kernel first, then the old names
>> (block, ide, usb etc.) then all directories.
>
>'all directories'? That sounds like a potential security issue....

All directories under /lib/modules/`uname -r`. If you let other users
update /lib/modules then you already have a huge security problem.