Problems umounting w/ pre5/pre6

From: Adam K Kirchhoff (adamk@voicenet.com)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 16:45:52 EST

        I'm having a problem with unmounting my filesystems when I'm
rebooting my system. This problem has only started when I upgraded to
2.3.99-pre5. My initial thought was that this is related to shm, however,
after exchanging e-mail with Christoph Rohland, I'm no longer sure. I
applied a patch that he passed along to me, posted on the lkm when others
were having similar problems with shm. Yet I'm still having the same
problem. I also tried the newest pre6 alpha with no luck.
        Initially the problem seemed to be primarily with unmounting /var
and /, so I moved shmfs to /dev/shm. Then I seemed to have more of a
problem with /tmp and /home.
        So, I then compiled a kernel w/o support for shared memory. And
I'm still having the same problem with /tmp and /home, so shared memory
obviously is not the issue.
        Now, this same system works w/o any problems under 2.2.13 and
2.2.14, the only hardware change being the addition of a SoundBlaster
Live.
        Also, the longer my machine is up, the more programs I've been
running, the more likely this proboem is to occur (particularly when I've
been running X).

Adam Kirchhoff