Re: Announce: modutils 2.3.11 is available - the debugger's helper

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 15:53:16 EST

willy@thepuffingroup.com writes:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 01:41:54PM -0600, Richard Gooch wrote:
> > willy@thepuffingroup.com writes:

> > > I'm not entirely sure why the modules are segregated into separate
> > > directories anyway. The namespace collision already happens at
> > > build time (when they're all symlinked into /usr/src/linux/modules)
> > > and modprobe is invoked (by me anyway) with just the name of the
> > > module, so why pretend it's not a flat namespace? Eschew
> > > obfuscation.
> >
> > Because a flat directory is harder to view for the human. When I ask
> > myself "do I have the ne2k-pci module", it's obvious to just look in
> > the "net" directory.
>
> surely
>
> ls *ne2k*
>
> is not too hard for someone who wants to know the answer to that
> question?

So then I'll change the question to "what network drivers do I have".
:-)

> > The subdirectories are a natural categorisation
> > that makes life easier. It's not about pretending there is a
> > hierarchical namespace.
>
> but it makes life somewhat more complex than necessary for the
> kernel build scripts and for modutils.

The kernel build scripts already have this "complexity" (which isn't
really that much), and modutils do too. In fact, by just scanning all
directories, modutils can be simplified. So we have nothing to lose.

And at the end of the day, computers are supposed to make things
easier for humans. I don't care if if takes me 5 milliseconds longer
to compile and install my kernel modules, if it makes my life a bit
easier.

I can't see why we would change things in the direction of making it
harder for humans, since we already have a reasonable system
implemented. It's not like we need to invest days or weeks of coding
effort.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au