Re: [Linux-Perf] [ANNOUNCE] Powertweak v0.1.13

From: Dave Jones (dave@denial.force9.co.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 12:56:13 EST

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Michael Gerdts wrote:

> > PCI bridge tuning in particular was the original aim.
> Has there been any consideration of tuning hard drives (turning on DMA,
> 32-bit transfers, etc)? It seems as though this tool would be a good
> place to put this type of tuning, rather than referring people to hdparm.

I'm toying with the idea of adding a page which will be essentially
a front end to hdparm. But first there are other more important things to
add. Something else that's intended to be added soon is a function to
allow allocation of VIA IDE buffers between channels. Just as 2.3.x
does with /proc/ide/via. There is no need for this to be in kernel-space,
and Andre ignored my mail to justify it.. As some people still use kernels
 < 2.3.x, putting this into Powertweak will benefit those people.

> Perhaps some auto-tuning (via GUI/curses) would be good too.

Already on the TODO is a 'suggested setting'.
That's about as automatic as I'd like to make things.

> Or am I thinking of an entirely different tool that has already been
> written or should be written, and is probably being talked about on
> linux-luserland@somewhere as opposed to this list?

Tools like this are a no-mans land between kernel/user-space :)

--
Dave.