Re: Problems with MTU?

From: Chris Wedgwood (cw@f00f.org)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 23:50:27 EST

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 11:29:48PM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

    The problem with this comes with, as I mentioned earlier, bone-headed
    firewall maintainers who believe that all ICMP packets are bad and
    filters all of them.

It need not be a firewall -- often people use packet filtering
techniques built into most routers to achieve the same thing
(actually, it's a horrible hack and a really bad idea, but that
doesn't stop plenty of people doing so).

As best as I can tell, dri.sourceforget.net and support.3com.com do
_not_ block ICMP packets -- www.amazon.com appears to have them
getting dumped by a cisco router upstream of the host.

    There are a couple of solutions you can use to solve this problem. One
    is to ask nicely to the web site administrators that they fix their
    firewall.

It need not be at the web-site end, and it this case, I suspect it
may not be. It could be anywhere in between...

-cw