Problems with MTU?

From: Hans-Joachim Baader (hans@grumbeer.inka.de)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 02:41:45 EST

Hi,

for several months I had the problem that access to some web sites
fails mysteriously. This means I never got a reply although the
servers were reachable with ping and telnet.

Today I did

        echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc

and suddenly all these sites worked again for me. I use kernel 2.2.x
(2.2.pre15-19 currently). Some of the affected sites are
dri.sourceforge.net (in fact, the whole sourceforge.net)
and support.3com.com

Are these web sites broken? I never had these problems under Windows,
so this is probably not the case.

Could anyone please explain this? Is there a better solution than
disabling MTU discovery?

Thanks,
hjb

--