Re: Trying to get OOPS debugging connection working over serial null modem cable.

From: Miles Lane (miles@speakeasy.org)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 00:05:23 EST

on 4/19/00 7:03 PM, Jeff Moyer at moyer@mclinux.com wrote:

> Hi Miles,

<snip>

> My guess is that you did not enable support for console on serial
> port in your kernel setup. It is listed under the character devices
> section. Hope this helps!

Jeff, thanks for the reply.

Actually, I do have the serial console option enabled.

On further investigation, I find that I can't get any output
to minicom on the debugging machine by running "echo test > /dev/ttyS0".
This leads me to suspect that either something is wedged in my configuration
on the test box or I have a broken setup on the debugging machine side.

I am attempting to figure out which is the case. So far, I haven't gotten
HyperTerm working under Windoze on the debugging machine (I get a "Connot
connect to COM1" error for some reason, even though the Ports section of
Control Panel shows that COM1 is active and in good shape). Anyhow,
I'll continue to hammer on things until I get SOMETHING working! Drat.

Miles