configuring multiple interfaces

From: Louis E Garcia (lugarcia@gate.net)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 23:30:29 EST

I am trying to set up RH6.1 with kernel-2.2.15pre19 as a router
and firewall for my private lan. Hence the system has two nic's,
3c59x for the outside world and 3c90x for the local network.

Both drivers are compiled into the kernel and I see both when the system
boots. I used linuxconf to configure eth1 for 3c59x and
eth0 for 3c90x. Running ifconfig I only see eth1 and lo, but ifconfig -a
give me eth0, eth1, and lo. I can't ping out of eth0 only eth1. ifconfig
eth0 up gives me an error

The kernel probes for one nic and I tried to pass boot time arguments
but nothing worked.

Any help with getting two nics up and running would be
appreciated..

Lou