Re: unkillable processes (again)

From: Nick Clifford (nickc@m2tech.co.nz)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 22:58:12 EST

Ian Peters wrote:

> 2.3.99pre5, system is a dual PII, with both SCSI and IDE devices.
> It's been up for about 6 and a half days.
>
> Anyways, I clicked on a link in Netscape, and before I knew it, I was
> listening to RMS sing that "Join us now and share the software" song.
> Anxious for some way to make it stop, I quickly popped up a shell and
> typed "killall mpg123". Which returned Segmentation fault. Confused,
> I entered "killall mpg123" once again, which had the beneficial effect
> of stopping the music, but unfortunately, the killall never returned
> (and I can't ^C out of it).
>
> So, I tried to use ps to track the problem down, but ps stalls in the
> middle of its output (and won't die). I've attached an strace to this
> mail, but the relevant part is, it stops while trying to read
> /proc/644. So, I cd'd to that directory, fine, typed ls, and ls got
> stuck. Ugh.

I too have had this problem with the 2.3.99pre3 and pre5 kernels.
Single Processor, Cryix 200.
Kernel compilied with std set of options, and Magic SysReq.
The only way I was able to figure out what process had caused
the problem was Magic SysReq + t (dump list of tasks).
ps xa hung. Infact all attempts to go into /proc/<pidofhungprocess>/
hung.
A very strange and annoying problem. I was able to kill the ps processes
that had hung with SysReq + k (SAK).

I unfortunatly don't have the time to try to debug and find what is causing
the problem, and I'm not able to repeat the problem either. :/

Although, NFS could well be a contributing factor.

Nick