Re: [RFC] automount based devfs replacement

From: david parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 17:43:07 EST

Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> From: orc@pell.portland.or.us (david parsons)
>
> >Dynamic filesystems have their place. However, /dev isn't one of them.
>
> This argument has been done to death, so I'll do my executive summary
> for why it is:
>
> /dev is a database of the devices that are attached to the system.
> The system should publish, in a usable without black magic form,
> this database.
>
> Well, here's the executive summary on the other side. /dev is *not* the
> database of the devices that are attached to the system.

    And that's the point where it's meaningless to argue. I want the
    kernel to tell me what it knows, and I'll not presume to say what
    you want (though some of the alternatives you've mentioned seem like
    using a ton of baling wire and duct tape to replace an ounce of
    epoxy cement.)

> This idea that /dev should be a "database" is not a traditional Unix
> view,

    I disagree, but I've only been using Unix for 22 years.

                  ____
    david parsons \bi/ bloat is bloat, even if you punt it into someone
                   \/ else's lap.